Saturday, January 30, 2016

Martin Rev - To Live (2003)


Previously:
Martin Rev - Clouds of Glory (1985)
Suicide - A Way of Life (1988)
Martin Rev - Stigmata (2009)

Driving, synth-fueled electro-punk done as only the master can do it. Most of these songs -- with the notable exception of the totally fucked up "Shimmer" -- consist of simple loops repeating endlessly with subtle flourishes as Rev distortedly whispers and mumbles monosyllabic intonations. I played this at work yesterday and apparently an old lady angrily tried to get my co-worker to put something else on. So the question is: are you with me, or are you a cranky old lady?

Track listing:
1. To Live
2. In Your Arms
3. Black Ice
4. Gutter Rock
5. Shimmer
6. Painted
7. Places I Go
8. Lost in the Orbits
9. Jaded
10. Our Roads
11. Search for Stone
12. Water

Here in heaven

You might also like:
Tones on Tail - Pop (1984)
Chris & Cosey - Technø Primitiv (1985)

5 comments:

  1. In 2006 when I worked at Everyday Music in Seattle my co-manager made me take out "Disco Inferno - D. I. Go Pop". It was a little after noon and said that he thought it was to weird and harsh to be playing at that time of the day, but he told me afterwards it sounded cool. That manager was Matthew Cooper(Eluvium). -Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cranky old ladies notwithstanding, it should be noted that this is miles away from the man's best work.

    As for pushing the envelopes of in work (or instore) play, I used to have fun playing the Some Bizzare comp If You Can't Please Yourself, You Can't Please Your Soul, which starts off with a jaunty little Foetus track guaranteed to make you some "friends" real fast...especially if they ask what it is, and you get to tell them the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic blog... I have that great out of print "If You Can't Please Yourself, You Can't Please Your Soul" record.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you happen to have If You Can't Please Yourself You Can't, Please Your Soul? some bizarre comp?....cause that;d be pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete