Thursday, September 6, 2018

Azure Ray - November (2002)


Beautifully sad, strikingly heartfelt slowcore/indie folk. A six-song EP -- five originals and one Townes Van Zandt cover -- that I listened to on practically a daily basis when I was 20-21. Makes me think of my old friend and bandmate, with whom I listened to this EP many times, who passed away in November of 2009 -- particularly the title track, and especially when the lyric "So we're speeding towards that time of year/To the day that marks that you're not here" crushes me in its gentle, cooing palm.

Track listing:
1. November
2. For the Sake of the Song
3. No Signs of Pain
4. Just a Faint Line
5. I Will Do These Things
6. Other Than This World

I'll just sit and stare at my deep blue walls
Until I can see nothing at all
Only particles, some fast, some slow
All my eyes can see is all I know


More along these lines:
Lullaby for the Working Class -
I Never Even Asked for Light (1997)
Damien Jurado -
Ghost of David (2000)

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic music. Their first 3 releases are pure gold. I remember seeing them do some great live sets, too. I encourage people to give this one an open-minded shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this album, particularly the song 'November'. A tearjerker, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truely beautiful. Thanks for sharing. How did I not know about this album?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, slow/sadcore is always diffucult to enjoy. I really liked the Low EP “Murderer” you posted (gracias for that), but usually I get bored after 2 or 3 songs. Maybe it’s because it’s not easy for me to understand all the words, and there is not much else to focus on (rythm, sound, sometimes estructure and others not even melody).
    Anyway, recommendations are welcome to give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that's kinda a tough one because Low is the pinnacle of the subgenre IMO, and 'Murderer' is some of the best stuff they ever did. Have you heard the other bigger names, like Codeine, Galaxy 500, or Red House Painters?

      Delete
  5. I’ve heard and didn’t like G500; I didn’t even knew that their 2nd hand Lou Reed was considered slowcore, and I couldn’t stand Dean Wearham’s voice (also don’t like Luna). Never heard Codeine (though I take some when my back hurts, ha!) nor RHP.

    ReplyDelete