Monday, July 30, 2018

Mossy Davidson - Northwind Calling (1977)


Stunning, nature-loving private press Alaskan folk. A double album, Northwind Calling is seemingly the only thing Davidson ever recorded, and it's an absolute gem; it's pretty much the Just Another Diamond Day that never got rediscovered. I realize that that's a tall order, but Mossy's up to the challenge. For real, any fan of Vashti Bunyan -- or 60s/70s folk, for that matter -- needs to hear this.

Track listing:
1. So Long
2. Fox Sparrow
3. Sea-Man
4. Day Dream Land
5. Northwind Calling
6. Coyote's Cry
7. Going to Blow
8. What Is That Light
9. Eagle, Goodbye
10. Little Brown Violins
11. Cloudy Day
12. It's Hard to Be Left Behind
13. Alone Too Long
14. Where Does This River Flow
15. Flag of the Green Lands
16. Rainfall
17. Mother's Song
18. Changes, Changes
19. Birds of Passage
20. Come Back, Come Back

Will you be walking where I have gone
Along this long, lonesome road someday?


If you like this, listen to:
Bridget St. John -
Ask Me No Questions (1969)
Sally Oldfield -
Water Bearer (1978)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure if it's just me, there may be some kind of issue with this link. tried 3 times over the last 4 - 5 hours & doesn't resolve. "Secure Connection Failed" ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. was recently on the look-out for nature-drenched folk. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random fact...Mossy's niece is Jewel Kilcher, aka Jewel of 1990s sort-of-mega-fame. And here's a recent article about here Alaskan homesteading roots:

    https://www.homernews.com/homer-news/local-news/2016-06-09/kilcher-sisters-reflect-on-homestead-life/

    Now you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know that, I didn't include it in the writeup because I thought that it might distract from how great the record is. In retrospect, kinda dumb of me

      Delete
  5. Sorry, no know-it-all-ness implied with my comment, to be clear. :-) And I like your intent, letting the record stand on its own. At any rate, thanks for one of the best music blogs on the net...long time lurker here, l love the deep digging and kitchen sink approach...you've turned me on to lots and lots of great stuff I would of never heard of or never have bothered with. Thank you, and thanks again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't think you were being rude, no worries, I always appreciate additional info about stuff I post, as I rarely do much research haha. Glad you've found some good stuff here!

      Delete
  6. any chance of a re-up on this one?
    thank you for sharing so much great music!

    ReplyDelete