Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Dystopia - The Aftermath (1999)


Related:
Asunder / Like Flies on Flesh - Asunder / Like Flies on Flesh [Split] (2000)

For better or worse, The Aftermath changed my life. Sample-packed, aggressively miserable tracks -- culled from various EPs, splits, and comps -- from the darkest, heaviest, and probably overall best crust band of all time. A melting pot of sludge, hardcore, grind, and warped psychedelia that still sounds unlike anything else. Also, the riffs. The fucking riffs.

Track listing:
1. Population Birth Control
2. Father's Gun
3. Self Defeating Prophecy
4. Sleep
5. Socialized Death Sentence
6. Backstabber
7. They Live
8. Anger Brought by Disease
9. Jarhead Fertilizer
10. Taste Your Own Medicine
11. Instrumental
12. Diary of a Battered Child
13. Cosmetic Plague [Rudimentary Peni cover, hidden track]

Gun in my mouth
I pull the trigger and my brains come out
The same story
A dead child
A father's gun


Also listen to:
Grief -
Torso (1998)
Damad -
Burning Cold (2000)

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog. The spiritual successor to Cosmic Hearse (a major compliment in my book). Were you in Nox Vomica by the way? IFf so, I goddamn love your last record. Are you still making music? (Sorry if I have completely made that up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, but we broke up for the final time about two years ago. Me and Danny from Nux do ROHIT now -- https://deathrohitmask.bandcamp.com/album/window-2 -- not all that similar tbh. I also have a solo black metal thing -- https://sentientruin.bandcamp.com/album/sedation -- currently working on a new album. Cosmic Hearse is definitely what I'm aiming for here, so thanks!

      Delete
    2. Fwiw I also loved the self-titled Nux Vomica album. I kinda always wondered what exactly a Nux Vomica actually is, but I'm pretty convinced that I'll find out eventually if I keep listening to your Coil posts.

      Delete
  2. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

    ReplyDelete