Monday, January 9, 2023

Bishop of Hexen - Archives of an Enchanted Philosophy (1997)


Beautifully Israeli symphonic black metal. Sounds like the guitarists might have forgot to set their alarm on mix-down day, as the mix is all drums, keyboards, and extremely goblin-like, reverb-drenched vocals, with guitars and bass taking on almost a more textural role. However, this makes for a mesmerizing atmosphere that, under the correct circumstances -- nighttime, candles lit, stupid loud volumes -- can be truly transportive. Not to oversell it, but I'm making this post because last night, I decided that I really need to finish making my all-time top 100 black metal albums list, and Archives of an Enchanted Philosophy is in contention.

Track listing:
1. Crossing the Borders Between Light & Darkness
2. The Surreal Touch Between Steel & Flesh
3. Lure My Spelled Emotions
4. Wading Through the Sensuous Journeys
5. When a Witch Becomes a Pale Bride
6. Diaries of Primeval Tragedies
7. To Begin the Quest Towards the Noble Dark Cause
8. The Fascinating Installment of Triumph


More contenders in the same vein:

3 comments:

  1. "I'm making this post because last night, I decided that I really need to finish making my all-time top 100 black metal albums list"

    Thanks in advance. Much looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eagerly awaiting 'The Black all-timers'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb album. I have the original CD and vinyl reissue.

    ReplyDelete