Tuesday, August 21, 2018

7 Year Bitch - Gato Negro (1996)


Second and final album from the perennially underrated 7 Year Bitch. I remember hearing that lots of fans were upset with them for signing with a major label (and possibly for that silly-ass album cover) when Gato Negro was released, but I was too young to give a shit, so I just heard dissonant, pissed-off music that sounded best when played really fucking loud. Just snagged a copy of the OG green vinyl, and I think I like it even more now than I used to, as my older, jaded, life-sapped ears now can fully appreciate the darker, sludgier parts, which I used to skip over.

Track listing:
1. The History of My Future
2. Crying Shame
3. Disillusion
4. Deep in the Heart
5. The Midst
6. 24,900 Miles Per Hour
7. Whoopie Cat
8. Miss Understood
9. Sore Subject
10. Rest My Head
11. 2nd Hand
12. Jack

She came down the staircase
Climbed into a dumpster
She grabbed an index card and she taped it to her forehead and it read
"Poor White Trash"
She grabbed a gun, put it to her heart and pulled the trigger
Now she's dead
It's just a thought


You'd probably also enjoy:
Tad -
God's Balls (1989)
Katastrophy Wife -
Amusia (2001)

7 comments:

  1. Aw come on, the cover is done by Love and Rocket's Jamie hernadez. he's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I love L&R and it’s not an objectively bad piece of work, just a weirdly light way to represent such a dark, angry record. I didn’t know that, tho, thanks

      Delete
    2. It's okay. I didn't mean to be so cranky about it. I am sorry

      Delete
    3. No worries at all, hope I didn't sound annoyed, I wasn't

      Delete
  2. I saw them open for Cypress Hill and Rage Against the Machine. I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on cd since it came out, never liked it that much, will listen to it again , perhaps it will "click" now, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any chance you could re-up the link it appears to have gone dead... album cover foretold the coming of "dariacore" before daria even existed forreal

    ReplyDelete