Thursday, August 16, 2018

Augustus Pablo - This Is Augustus Pablo (1974)


Instrumental roots reggae and dub from melodica player Augustus Pablo. To me, the melodica almost always sounds melancholy, and that holds true here.

Track listing:
1. Dub Organizer
2. Please Sunrise
3. Point Blank
4. Arabian Rock
5. Pretty Baby
6. Pablo in Dub
7. Skateland Rock
8. Dread Eye
9. Too Late
10. Assignment No 1
11. Jah Rock
12. Lovers Mood

Shakedown

You should also listen to:
The Upsetters -
Return of Django (1969)
Linval Thompson -
Negrea Love Dub (1978)

6 comments:

  1. Melodica has always hit me the exact same way. Love that sound. Did you check Colleen's CAPTAIN OF NONE from a few years back? Sort of abstracted but highly approachable dub vibe, worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First instrument I ever played as a kid -- PC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just picked up two amazing Trojan Box sets with classic 70s era roots and dub on 6 cds for nothing at the flea market yesterday so Im on a reggae listening vibe at the moment. This is amazing stuff early in Mr. Pablo's career and I dont have this album so THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent dub, often more sophisticated than just 2 chords songs often heard in this style.

    Thanks for sharing Dear Spirit !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic, found myself dancing to this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Bad Brains in the UK in 1989 & made a recording of the gig on my personal stereo. Just prior to the band appearing on stage the PA was playing a mixture of records, amoungst them was a melancholy instrumental with the distinctive sound of what I now know is a melodica, it's 'Up Warrika Hill'. I had wondered who recorded it for all these years, now I know who, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete