Monday, August 6, 2018

Laurie Mayer - Black Lining (2006)


First and, thus far, only solo album from British musician Laurie Mayer, who's perhaps best known as vocalist for the great dance/synthpop group Torch Song. Black Lining is a collection of nocturnal, mostly instrumental, low-key stunners colored by ambient-electronic synths and textures, and put together with the help of ex-bandmate (and extremely successful producer) William Orbit. I'm currently going through some pretty severe withdrawal from an anti-anxiety med that I've been taking for the past three years, and these haunting, damaged pieces sound very much the way my brain feels in its half-stoned, half-sleep-and-medication-deprived state.

Track listing:
1. Flung
2. Low Floating Territory
3. Breathe, You Theomorph
4. Black Lining
5. Thundercloud
6. Jagged Rain
7. Never Will I Leave You
8. Leviticus
9. Low Floating Variation
10. Flung Variation

You know too much about flying saucers

Similar vibes:
Alog -
Red Shift Swing (1999)
Locrian & Mamiffer -
Bless Them That Curse You (2011)

10 comments:

  1. Uh... you're not talking benzos, are you? I quit Klonopin cold turkey once and had severe withdrawals... extreme fatigue, abdominal cramps, frequent urination, etc. for a couple weeks before I realized what the problem was. Google "benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome." What I had to do was re-start the medication (which made the symptoms go away after a few days), and then taper off very gradually over the course of several weeks. Anyway... feel better, and thanks for the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice and the concern, truly. I am tapering off, it's just really fucking rough.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully you are tapering off the benzos. They are not something to fuck around with. Withdrawls can be dangerous--worse than opioids. I've been on benzos for 15 years and fighting to get off them. Keep up the good fight. You have one of the best music blogs around.

      Delete
  2. Very careful with the Benzo's. I went through a horrid klonopin withdrawal. After running out with no way to get a refill for a few days. Ended up in the E.R. It felt like I had to puke/crap in an endless circle of panic and nausea. Apparently had I not went to the E.R. I could have easily went into cardiac arrest and possibly died from this shit. These doctors hand these out like candy to people and the withdrawals are close to heroin withdrawals from what I was told. All I know is it was the most awful experience and I weened off the meds immediately after. Once you get off these, Stay off of them. I don't care what your doctors try to recommend (Mine tried to get me to take the shit again) Not worth it.

    Feel better.

    Love/Respect

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, thx for all the incredible music you've tipped me off to the last year or so since i discovered yr blog...As an obsessive compulsive music downloader/record collector, i've managed to ween myself down to 3 or 4 blogs: and yrs is the only one i check daily...so many sick gems..

    secondly, I'm also currently tapering off benzos so I feel yr pain. I've been through at least 4 withdrawals from this crap since I started taking them in 2007, so I know how hard it is. I hope yr doing it really slow like I am to minimize the torture...Hang in there brother, I truly believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Peace, and thank earth for all the amazing music we have to get us through the mayhem of life....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance of a re-up please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you refresh the link please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete