Thursday, April 28, 2022

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht (1972)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:

RIP to Klaus Schulze, the synth GOAT. Schulze changed electronic music, and as a result, the larger musical landscape, by helping to pioneer sounds that would form the basis for not just ambient/progressive electronic music, but trance and techno. He also created some of my all-time favorite records. So to send him off, here's one of them: his very first solo album, and the first one I ever heard. A piece of pure, foreboding, cosmic drone for the ages.

Track listing:
1. Satz: Ebene
2. Satz: Gewitter (Energy Rise - Energy Collaps)
3. Satz: Exil Sils Maria
4. Dungeon [bonus]


Also listen to:

10 comments:

  1. Great loss, no doubt. His Brain records era was great too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the KS. I am surprised there has not ben more bloggers sharing KS. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I was just listening to Moondawn last night. Very sad to hear :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! Do by any chance have his Angst soundtrack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://mega.nz/file/M11gCJYI#6-RAiBZscrdZ_woYAJ2_nUOpxuLhwOLTEhYidrnSqlM

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  5. That also was my pick for a send-off, along with Cyborg. Both underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incidentally, the first Schulze record I happened to have heard was Picture Music, which doesn't seem to rate that highly among his early albums. But that A side, Totem, remains very dear to my heart and ears. Wonderfully melancholic synth/organ piece. I will concur, though, with what's already been stated, Irrlicht and Cyborg are monumental and still somewhat underrated. Truly a great. Rest in Space, Klaus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! I hadn't heard the news until I saw your post. What a legacy he created. Thanks for the post and all of the great music on your site.

    ReplyDelete