Friday, July 22, 2022

Barry Cleveland - Voluntary Dreaming (1990)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
Barry Cleveland - Mythos (1984)
Barry Cleveland with Bob Stohl and Kate Epple - Stones of Precious Water (1986)

Insomnia strikes again. Wake up at 4 AM, give up on getting back to sleep a little after 5 as the first hint of daylight comes creeping in. Come downstairs, put headphones on, put this album on. Lush layers of keyboard, guitar (acoustic, electric, 12-string, pedal steel), cimbalom, and gently buoyant percussion fill my ears. My sweet older cat comes and sits next to me, purring. Good boy. My dumb younger cat comes tearing around the corner like a maniac because he has just knocked my copy of Desertshore off the shelf and it was terrifying for him. It also looks like he managed to close the curtains somehow? I'm gonna go make some coffee.

Track listing:
1. Voluntary Dreaming
2. Ritual Sticks
3. Visual Purple
4. The Inward Spiral
5. Cleopatra's Needle
6. Hawk Dreaming
7. The Angel & the Abyss


Also listen to:

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this music and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking these occasional longer write ups/ glimpses into the world of the Dear_Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks DEAR_SPIRIT for the introduction to the wonderful music of Barry Cleveland......Love & Peace Stu

    ReplyDelete