Sunday, January 3, 2016

Poly Styrene - Translucence (1981)


Like the Sam Gopal record that I posted on Tuesday, I've been meaning to post Translucence, her first solo record, since I started this blog, and unfortunately, I'm only getting around to it out of sadness. It's not a punk record by any means. It's far more subtle than that, and takes some time to digest, especially for those not expecting it . The instrumentation -- synth, organ, acoustic guitars, flute -- is lush and jazzy, and her voice is restrained and sweet. It's a weirdly comforting record, and a crucial part of the memory of this incomparable musician.

Track listing:
1. Dreaming
2. Toytown
3. Sky Diver
4. Day That Time Forgot
5. Shades
6. Essence
7. Hip City
8. Bicycle Song
9. Sub-Tropical
10. Translucent
11. Age
12. Goodbye

When I'm away from you

3 comments:

  1. I'm confused - didn't she die like 5 years ago? Great album though and you're totally on target about Germ Free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you're right, just made a correction. I blame the person who told me. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Been trying to find this for a minute, now! I'd greatly appreciate a re-upload if that could be managed. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete