Friday, November 19, 2021

Jon Brion - Meaningless (2000)


First solo album by composer/musician/producer Jon Brion, who's composed scores for a whole bunch of movies, including Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (my introduction to Brion), and Punch-Drunk Love. Tuneful, sweet-sounding, yet deeply bitter songs that will land like a long lost friend to any fan of Elliott Smith in Beatles mode. He's obviously stayed plenty busy over the years, but I really wish he'd put out another record like this one.

Track listing:
1. Gotta Start Somewhere
2. I Believe She's Lying
3. Meaningless
4. Ruin My Day
5. Walking Through Walls
6. Trouble
7. Hook, Line, and Sinker
8. Dead to the World
9. Her Ghost
10. Same Mistakes
11. Voices


More like this:

2 comments:

  1. Long time reader first time commenter, I've been looking for this for ages since I hear it yt, amazing stuff totally agree, I love his scores (his arrangement of he needs me- *chef's kiss*)and production but it's kinda maddening that he hasn't done more albums like this as it's so great, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, and if you haven't checked out his earlier pseudo super group "The Grays" it is a must have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grays_(band)

    ReplyDelete