Sunday, June 28, 2015

Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul - Men Without Women (1982)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
Bruce Springsteen - Chimes of Freedom (1988)

Steven Van Zandt's (of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band/Silvio on The Sopranos) first solo record. Men Without Women makes it clear just how greatly he contributed to the classic E Street Band rock/girl group/soul/folk hybrid sound, in that it plays like a lost Springsteen record, circa The River. Earnest, upbeat songs of love, lust, and heartbreak, embellished by classic soul horn sections.

Track listing:
1. Lyin' in a Bed of Fire
2. Inside of Me
3. Until the Good Is Gone
4. Men Without Women
5. Under the Gun
6. Save Me
7. Princess of Little Italy
8. Angel Eyes
9. Forever
10. I've Been Waiting

I spent my whole life just tryin' to find
Something I know I need but can't define

1 comment:

  1. And with Jean Beauvoir of the Plasmatics on bass, no less. A stone cold classic, this one. And it's follow up, Voice of America, could be debated as being even better. I had the good fortune to see this band when they toured in support of Men Without Women, and they killed. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete