Monday, June 29, 2015

Skin - Shame, Humility, Revenge (1988)


Shame, Humility, Revenge is the second of three albums from this Swans side project, consisting of Michael Gira and Jarboe. It continues along the same relatively melodic (still extremely dark and intense, of course) path that Swans had begun with Children of God, and like virtually all of Michael Gira's work, it's an exploration, and in some ways, a celebration of negativity in its many forms.

Track listing:
1. Intro 2. Nothing Without You
3. Everything at Once
4. Breathing Water
5. The Center of Your Heart
6. Cold Bed
7. 24 Hours
8. Turned to Stone
9. One Small Sacrifice
10. I Want to Be Your Dog

There's blood on your hands

3 comments:

  1. I have ever loved this album. My alcoholic self and my alcoholic friend would sit in his front room drinking coffee and rolling Old Holburn tobacco while listening to the searing truth of this album, along with the whole Swans back catalogue. It was an antidote to the dreary self help we were required to imbibe at AA. Don't get me wrong, AA is the only game in town when it comes to getting straight, it just needs a straightener of its own when it gets too much. Anyway, it is a magnificent and beautiful album and thank you so much for reminding me of a critical period in my life. Rory, taxi man, Dublin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude that was beautifully put. That LP haunted since my teens. I could easily dissolve a day with my head in it

      Delete
  2. P.S. It has the best interpretation of Iggy's Dog you will ever hear. It is an interpretation in the truest sense of the word. They don't just cover it, they make it their own and it is even closer to the truth of that song than Iggy's version. Rory, taxi man, Dublin

    ReplyDelete