Sunday, November 18, 2018

Synergy - Cords (1978)


A while back -- like, a few years -- one of you was wondering why, given all the synth stuff I post, I'd never posted any Synergy. So, it's a combination of two factors: they're one of the biggest names in the game, and I don't love a lot of their albums. I like 'em just fine, but sometimes they just feel too middle-of-the-road or something. Cords, however, has a darker, more immediate sound, and I like it significantly more than anything else I've heard of theirs.

Track listing:
1. On Presuming to Be Modern I
2. Phobos and Deimos Go to Mars: Phobos
3. Phobos and Deimos Go to Mars: Deimos
4. Sketches of Mythical Beasts
5. Disruption in World Communications
6. On Presuming to Be Modern II
7. A Small Collection of Chords
8. Full Moon Flyer
9. Terra Incognita
10. Trellis
11. On Presuming to Be Modern II

Rampage of the elements

You'd also like:
Michael Hoenig - Departure from
the Northern Wasteland
(1978)
Michael Genest -
Crystal Fantasy (1984)

6 comments:

  1. Agreed, I think this is the best one. They're all okay, but this is the one that got more of my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D_S

    Just a heads up, I sent ya 2 more gems. There's the Boom Bip album (more B B to follow..) as well as an absolutely stellar slice of Danish IDM by Karsten Pflum - another one of my absolute favorite electronic records.

    Enjoy dude!!

    Tz

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I am a Synergy fan, much of his work just hasn't held up over the years. Yes, this is the most cohesive and probably the least dated. There is some good work on other LPs but not much to hold an entire LP. Also, Synergy is one person, Larry Fast. This also came out originally on clear vinyl, that's what I got way back when it first came out in '78!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow good choice(as usual!). I have to say your observation on Larry Fast i.e. Synergy is spot of his albums have dated as well as....Mannheim Steamroller but then again he was Peter Gabriel's keyboard player for many years. Check out Computer Experiments its an all ambient album Synergy made sinuous and un-melodic with no beats at all and as far from western classical based stereotypes as you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this when it came out but stopped listening to it when our local news station starting using one of the tracks as their theme music. Kiss of death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for this record since ages. really apprecciated!
    If you do have anything from Synergy post 1981 I will be a glad man (even if they are crappy records, would like to hear them)
    Thanks once again. Your blog is one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete