Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Church - Untitled #23 (2009)


Related:
Steve Kilbey - The Slow Crack (1987)
Steve Kilbey - Unearthed (1987)
The Church - Priest=Aura (1992)
Steve Kilbey & Russell P. Kilbey - Gilt Trip (1997)
The Church - Church of Baal (1998)

My favorite late-career Church record. The same echoing guitars and dark, surreal lyrical concerns as ever, just applied to some of the best, most beautiful songs they've ever conjured forth from the infinite subconscious of the universe.

Track listing:
1. Cobalt Blue
2. Deadman's Hand
3. Pangaea
4. Happenstance
5. Space Saviour
6. On Angel Street
7. Sunken Sun
8. Anchorage
9. Lunar
10. Operetta

Darkness returning
My torch keeps on burning for you
In the life you keep on spurning
Everything is hurting me


You might also enjoy:
The Ocean Blue -
Cerulean (1993)
Air Formation - Nothing to Wish
For (Nothing to Lose)
(2010)

3 comments:

  1. I agree that this is the best late-career Church record! I have some real fond memories of this one. Good luck picking a favourite from their early recordings, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never even heard of this Church album....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend leave his record collection with me back in the late 80's as he was homeless for a while. Somehow I never got around to listening to the one Church record he had (Starfish) and they have somehow eluded me over the years. I now realise what I've been missing and because of this download I've started to buy up their back catalogue bit by bit. So I offer you a huge THANK YOU for this introduction. It means a lot!!

    ReplyDelete