Sunday, November 11, 2018

Overweight Pooch - Female Preacher (1991)


Old-school 90s hip-hop gold from a virtual unknown. My older brother was one of the many suburban white kids who got into rap via Vanilla Ice, and given his complete lack of knowledge of the form, he mostly ended up with a bunch of random cassingles, of which "Ace Is a Spade" was one of my favorites. (I was like 8 at the time, so my main takeaway was that her name was hilarious.) Some subtly subversive stuff for sure -- see "Who's Pimping Who" -- but nothing heady or serious enough to get in the way of the party.

Track listing:
1. Feeling Good
2. Ace Is a Spade
3. Boogie-In
4. Pooch's Pimpin' Playhouse / Who's Pimping Who
5. Kickin' da Blues
6. I Like It
7. Female Preacher
8. The Overweight Jam
9. Queen of Rap
10. Hip House Party
11. Chat Trax

I don't think they have a clue

You should also listen to:
Luscious Jackson -
In Search of Manny (1992)
Kokane -
Funk upon a Rhyme (1994)

1 comment:

  1. Commenting w "name/url" instead of anonymous sucks. Not sure why I've been bothering today; I'm forced to do 6-7 captchas each time.. I'd log in w google but I'm a)fkn lazy and b)don't love being logged in to ANYthing google

    Anyhow - I barely remember Overweight Pooch - I know I had a couple maxi singles. So big THANKS.
    I bet I'm the only person to notice that "Boogie-in" samples Moby's "Voodoo Child" from the same time period haha. Late 80s/early 90s was the golden era. Some of the best female rapppers imo then include
    Monie Love, MC Lyte, S and P, Roxanne Shante, Queen Latifah (who? lol..), Mariana Ladybug Vieira (Digable Planets), Yo-Yo, (the inflammatory) Sister Souljah, Lady of Rage (a few tracks), Bahamadia, HWA (Hoez w Attitude...ok not much talent but amusing precursor to Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, bla bla gotta have skank factor in there someplace)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete