Monday, November 19, 2018

The Queers - Love Songs for the Retarded (1993)


Keeping the high school favorites train rolling with some of the greatest, catchiest pop-punk ever made. I'll admit that, as a grown-ass man, some of the un-PC shit makes me cringe a little, but if punk's not about starting an offensively-named band and playing songs called "I Hate Everything" and "I Can't Stop Farting", I don't know what it's about. Plus, "Fuck the World" and "Debra Jean" belong in the pop-punk hall of fame.

Track listing:
1. You're Tripping
2. Ursula Finally Has Tits
3. I Hate Everything
4. Teenage Bonehead
5. Fuck the World
6. I Can't Stop Farting
7. Feeling Groovy
8. Debra Jean
9. Hi Mom, It's Me!
10. Noodlebrain
11. I Can't Stand You
12. Night of the Livid Queers
13. Granola-Head
14. I Won't Be
15. Monster Zero
16. Daydreaming

Well, I was walking down the street
With my head held high
Thinking everything was alright
When a big fat bird came and shit on my head


Also listen to:
Alice Donut -
Bucketfulls of Sickness and Horror in
an Otherwise Meaningless Life
(1989)
Tony Molina -
Dissed and Dismissed (2013)

3 comments:

  1. Needless to say, no one has ever celebrated flatulence quite like Descendents (esp on Enjoy!) ;)

    Tz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know man, I'm almost 40 and un-pc things have never been funnier. It's like the more sensitive people get, and let's face it, that's way out of hand, the more i love the things that offend them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disagree. There are definitely some people out there who are on the edge of their seats, just waiting to be offended -- I've seen it, it's obnoxious, and there's no way out of it besides just walking away -- but I think that a lot of what we're seeing is people who are used to being punchlines finding their voices, and people on the other side being forced to hear them.

      And to be clear: this has nothing to do with me being offended. The Queers are actually a great case-in-point because they're relatively tame and clearly not to be taken seriously. But "slut" is an angry word, whether or not you'll admit it. Shitty bros use it dismissively towards women they're mad at, often over being rejected -- not that funny. So when The Queers say it, it doesn't 'offend' me so much as it brings their stock down from lovable losers to something more bitter and less sympathetic.

      Delete