Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Oxes - Oxes (2000)


Related:
Long Live Death - To Do More Than God... to Die (2003)

Heavy instrumental rock from The City That Bleeds. Oxes were Baltimore's biggest indie rock export until Dan Deacon came along. They generally get called "math rock," but that makes them sound a lot less visceral than they actually are. This is engaging, high-energy stuff that has a lot more in common with The Fucking Champs than Don Caballero, and it was matched with one of the best live shows I've ever seen -- between the cable-free guitars and being hilarious, I don't think they ever met a crowd they couldn't win-over.

(They were also masters of the song title game. I've always wondered if anyone ever catches that my handle is an Oxes reference. If so, they haven't said anything.)

Track listing:
1. Dear Spirit, I'm in France
2. I'm from Hell, Open a Windle
3. Panda Strong
4. Your Street vs. Wall Street
5. Horses Are OK
6. And Giraffe, Natural Enemies
7. Riki Creem Calls This One "Chivas Regal"

Say something to bees about not praying and don't bothering

Also of interest:
Lungfish -
Artificial Horizon (1998)
Trans Am -
Futureworld (1999)

4 comments:

  1. Men this record is excellent, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit I actually do! I've never listened to it but it's been sitting on my hard drive, so here you go: https://mega.nz/#!tfJnja7C!x_OM5cIUIUOANsJFTVBDi_nyFLLJpKpgWf1rbYG4b-0
    I should probably give it a shot, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blast from the past! Do you have their follow up: Oxxxes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classic. That first track is like 7 songs in one. And agreed... easily one of the most entertaining bands I've ever seen. The BOXES!!!

    ReplyDelete