Sunday, October 16, 2022

Come - Eleven:Eleven (1992)

Related:

Alright, so this one doesn't really fit my Halloween theme. It's dark for sure, but it's the oppressive, existential dread kinda darkness, not the "look out there's a wolfman behind you" or the "let's conjure Satan" kinda darkness. But fuck it, I'm sick of this record not getting the respect it deserves. It's absolutely one of my favorite records of the alt rock era -- explosive, simultaneously sludgy and sharp guitar work that's heavy on slide guitar and whammy bar; a dynamic, dialed-in rhythm section; and the raw, strung-out-sounding vocals of Thalia Zedek at the peak of her powers. An actual masterpiece. Yet you can (as I did) still find sealed copies of the 2013 Matador reissue for under $20. What's up with that?

Track listing:
1. Submerge
2. Dead Molly
3. Brand New Vein
4. Off to One Side
5. Bell
6. William
7. Sad Eyes
8. Power Failure
9. Orbit
10. Fast Piss Blues
11. I Got the Blues


Also listen to:

10 comments:

  1. Fire Records has reissued the Come catalogue this year, so they definitely still have fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean, they for sure have fans, they just don't have ENOUGH fans.

      Delete
  2. AMEN. Come is one of the most amazing and unsung bands of that era. It warmed my heart at a hard moment in my life to see you put this up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don’t understand why this didn’t thrill me the first time around. So glad I tried again. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't immediately blown away by it either. Probably because it doesn't really scan as anything extraordinary on a surface level; you have to really focus in on it to get it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much!
    I found this in the bargain bin of my small town record shop in Ireland when it was first released.
    Thalia’s newer solo stuff is excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both Come & Helium should be widely held in 90s-indie-deity status, imho. This & Pirate Prude both blow away a lot of records that are much more lauded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to this for 20 years, and forgot how much I enjoyed it back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't seem to find more. I want more. This band is great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have helped you find them. Here's their next record, Don't Ask Don't Tell:
      https://mega.nz/file/QSMFCTQS#I7HYVQvuDJRUoGG2DOea9C9yfv5jnZxoi5QTX_zFNlg

      Delete