Thursday, October 20, 2022

GGUW - Gegen Gravitation und Willensfreiheit (2011)


Three untitled pieces of utterly mesmerizing black metal that demand close, repeated listening. This record is just so fucking cool. The black ocean of restless guitars, the vocals struggling for air just below the surface, the foreboding figures rising from the murk, all delivered as minimalistic raw black metal -- it's just perfection. Sadly, it's also the only record this band made before one of their guitarists committed suicide; they've put out one more EP since but, for me, it doesn't have the same alchemic dark magic.


You should also hear:

9 comments:

  1. great! and the cover! I'm listening to the second one with the elephant looking thing.....It's working for me. Is the now dead person on that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is not. Yeah, it's not a bad record at all, it just doesn't hit the same for me. I just like how subtle this one is, that one's a bit more overtly weird, maybe?

      Delete
  2. gotcha!.....i really dig those covers

    ReplyDelete
  3. off subject: do you love true werwolf as much as i do? My wife gave me vinyl of Vampyr Strigoi Rituals and I spewed paste all over town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Werwolf is musically very tight, but that dude is just a full-on nazi so I don't really fuck with him. I obviously don't have hard-and-fast rules around sketchy black metal, and the True Werwolf project does tend to go the dogwhistle route, which I have been known to tolerate, but "Strength and Honour" by Satan Warmaster is beyond where I'm willing to go.

      Delete
  4. oh shit....i had no idea as I can't understand even one growl he says.......i like the absolute oddness of it all....thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. Like I said, that particular project of his isn't pointedly racist (as far as I know) but the dude himself is just unabashedly a total nazi POS.

      Delete