Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Loren Mazzacane & Kath Bloom - Sing the Children Over (1982)


Stoned, bluesy folk rock with a homespun feel that, along with Kath Boom's sweet, quavering voice, manages to elevate even the most played-out of songs, "I've Been Working on the Railroad". The whole record's great, but Bloom's wistful, heartfelt originals are undeniable standouts. I found out about her through Bill Callahan's cover of "The Breeze / My Baby Cries", part of an excellent, indie star-studded Kath Bloom tribute record. It's a heartbreakingly beautiful song -- I actually just teared up listening to it -- and I'm genuinely grateful to Callahan for helping me and hopefully many others to get to know this great, forgotten talent.

Track listing:
1. Last Fair Deal
2. The Breeze / My Baby Cries
3. Can't Nobody Hide
4. Nobody's Fault But Mine
5. All My Trials Here
6. It's So Hard to come Home
7. I've Been Working on the Railroad
8. Moses
9. In the Garden
10. Light in the Lighthouse
11. There Was a Boy
12. Lullaby
13. I Was Wondering

I'd like to touch you
But I've forgotten how
Said I didn't need you
But look at me now
Sometime in the summer
When we're lying in the breeze
The breeze will kill me


You might also dig:
Andy Zwerling - Spiders in the Night (1971)
Muleskinner - Muleskinner (1972)

6 comments:

  1. Thankyou for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good vocals. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to have Loren's album with Alan Licht called Hoffman Estates? Heard it's meant to be good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like ZippyShare has given up the ghost now; any chance of putting this on another file-hoster like Mega, Workupload or Kraken? Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete