Thursday, February 18, 2016

Meat Beat Manifesto - Subliminal Sandwich (1996)


To me, Subliminal Sandwich is unquestionably Meat Beat Manifesto's definitive statement. I picked it up when I was like 14, expecting it to sound like KMFDM or something. What I got was a dense, cerebral, sample-packed fusion of electronic styles -- techno, trip-hop, dub, electro-industrial, house, ambient -- that initially went completely over my head. By the time I was 18, though, I was smoking hella weed, which allowed me to see this record for the masterpiece that it is. And the years since have been extremely kind; today, I dig it more than ever.

Track listing:
-Disc One-
1. Sound Innovation
2. Nuclear Bomb
3. Long Periods of Time
4. 1979
5. Future Worlds
6. What's Your Name?
7. She's Unreal
8. Asbestos Lead Asbestos
9. Mass Producing Hate
10. Radio Mellotron
11. Assassinator
12. Phone Calls from the Dead
13. Lucid Dreams
14. Addiction
15. No Purpose No Design
16. Cancer
17. Transmission
18. We Done
-Disc Two-
1. Set Your Receivers
2. Mad Bomber/The Woods
3. The Utterer
4. United Nations (E.T.C.)
5. Stereophrenic
6. Teargas
7. Plexus
8. Electric People
9. Tweekland
10. Simulacra

Give me love
So that I can kill


Possibly of interest:
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult -
Confessions of a Knife (1990)
CoH -
Mask of Birth (2002)

5 comments:

  1. Theres a great remix of Hyperreal by The Shamen, mixed by Jack Dangers/MBM thats worth checking out

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite releases from Trent Reznor's short lived (is 10 years short lived?)Nothing Records. Over the years, it was this album and Prick's debut that would continue to grow on me like a fungus, evolving, growing and seeping into my brain where they still reside today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of the greatest albums of all time. it even has someone from miles davis bitch's brew sessions on it, i've heard. a total masterpiece, and agreed, mbm's best work, even better than actual sounds and voices and the rest of the stacked discography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do really crave for reupload, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the reupload. I haven't listened to this in years.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete